The following procedures operate in relation to attendance:
Morning registers are taken promptly in Tutor Groups at 8:55. The register is updated with late comers.
Registers are taken at the start of each lesson. Teachers are expected to complete these within the first ten minutes of each lesson. Reception will be notified of anyone not present in the lesson in order to address truancy issues.
Registers taken at the start of Period 4 inform afternoon sessions registration
We expect all students to be absent only when entirely necessary because of illness or other authorised circumstances. We will always respect a students right to religious observation and will authorize any relative absences accordingly.
The College operates a first day response system to absence.
We expect all parents to:
- Assess whether their child is genuinely ill and required to be absent from College or whether they could be sent in.
- Contact College before 8:55 am on the first day of absence to inform College why their child is not attending College.
- Contact College on every subsequent day that their child is ill.
- Seek medical advice/help for the child if they are seriously ill.
- Bring the child into College later in the day if they feel better.
We expect all students to:
- Assess whether they are definitely required to be absent from College or whether they could actually come in.
- Catch up on any work that they miss
As a College we will:
- Send a text message before 10am to all parents of students who have not yet contacted the College.
- Ring all parents of absent students who have subsequently not contacted College.
If no direct contact has been made with a parent during the day of absence the absence will automatically be recorded as unauthorised.
There is an expectation that all students at Hope Valley College attend College and lessons punctually at all times.
Students who arrive after 9am will report to their tutor who will mark them as late (L).
Students who arrive after 9.25 should report to reception where they will have to sign in. Students arriving after this time will not get an AM mark and are considered to have had an unauthorized absence except in exceptional situations in which there lateness is as a result of a bus being held up. After signing in at reception students should then proceed to lessons