Principal's update 31 March 2023
Published on 31/03/23
Dear Parents and Carers
We have celebrated the end of a very busy term with celebration assemblies for all year groups this week. We hope you all have an enjoyable break over Easter and we look forward to welcoming students back to school on Monday 17th April.
What’s going on in school:
- Our Sports Leaders and Y8 Development Squad did an amazing job running a huge primary netball tournament last week with 16 teams and 110 primary students taking part!
- We were recently given 100 young trees to plant on our school grounds by the Woodland Trust. These were planted today by some of our students with a little help from Ms Daniel and one of our parents. Thank you to all involved.
- HVC students recently won the Greater Sheffield Schools bouldering competition, held at the Mini-Climbing Works in Heeley, Sheffield. Twelve students took part in the qualifying round, where every student had to climb 15 boulder problems, gaining points as they climbed them. The top scoring 6 students were invited to the final, where the three highest scoring schools battled it out over 15 new, harder boulder problems. Not only did HVC win overall, but 5 students won best individual scores for male and female! Students received prizes from lots of outdoor sponsors, plus special climbing hold medals and the overall school's trophy. Huge congratulations to all who took part!
- We've been having a bit of a clear-out in the library and all this week we've been selling surplus books to raise funds for the library and a couple of other good causes. There are some lovely bargains to be had and it's very cheering to see our students' enthusiasm for a good book!
- HVC hosted football teams from Chapel High School on Tuesday afternoon. Y9 played really well and drew against Chapel. Y7 unfortunately lost their game, but their teamwork was much improved. Our KS4 team travelled to Glossop on the same day and played well against a very strong Glossop side, but unfortunately lost their match. Well done to all involved.
- Early today, our talented wind band and big band travelled to Buxton Pavilion to perform specially arranged songs by Avicii. They were a credit to HVC and sounded amazing! Thank you to Mrs Rumpel for performing saxophone as part of the event!
- This year's Reading Buddies scheme will be coming to an end after Easter, when the older students will be finishing to focus on their exams. Since the autumn, pairs of handpicked students from Years 7 and 11 have been meeting each week to read together, building friendships and developing reading fluency and confidence. The Y11s, who were given initial training in strategies for supporting younger students with reading, have approached the programme in a really mature and responsible way; in turn, the Y7s have made great strides thanks to their Buddies' encouragement and enthusiasm. There will be one final session after the holiday, when we will celebrate the achievements of all the readers involved. After that a new group of Year 10s will take on the role until July, with the option of continuing into the autumn with a new set of Y7s.
- Our Outdoor Ed groups continue to have fun making the most of our local landscape. Last Friday they were weaselling at Higger Tor.
Y11 catch up sessions over Easter
Information regarding Y11 catch up sessions over Easter has been sent to parents earlier today. I
Residentials over Easter holidays with Adventure Expeditions
Attached is a flyer with information about funded residential trips running over the Easter Holidays. More information can also be found here: https://adventure-expeditions.net/outdoor-activities-and-bushcraft-residential
We are currently recruiting for a Teacher of Maths, a Teacher of Humanities and a Head Caretaker. For more information and to download an application form, please visit our website: Vacancies - Hope Valley College (hopevalley-chorustrust.org)
Thank you for reading our communication. Here are some helpful email addresses, should you need to contact us:
Gaynor Jones, Principal
Hope Valley College
T: 01433 620555