Why choose us?
You can find out more below about our school community and how we support our students.
Or you can download our Admissions Brochure here.
One of the best performing, non-selective schools in Derbyshire
The 2019 exam results are cause for celebration yet again. Hope Valley students acieved the third highest GCSE results out of all non-selective schools in Derbyshire.
In 2018 Hope Valley had the fifth best Progress 8 score in Derbyshire, with 60% of students gaining 5+ in English and Maths (5th best in the county) and 16 percentage points above the national average.
Popular across Derbyshire and beyond!
Over the past five years we have had students join us from a range of primary schools in Derbyshire, Greater Manchester and Sheffield, including:
Bakewell, Bamford, Baslow St Anne's, Bishop Pursglove, Bradwell, Burbage, Buxton, Buxworth, Chapel, Chinley, Curbar, Dinting, Dove Holes, Earl Sterndale, Elton, Eyam, Fairfield, Gamesley, Grindleford, Great Hucklow, Hathersage, Hayfield, Hollinsworth, Hope, Kettleshulme, Litton, Longstone, Marple, Monyash, Mylnhurst, New Mills, Peak Forest, Penny Acres, St Annes Glossop, Stanton-In-Peak, Stoney Middleton, Whaley Bridge.
Want to find out more about travel options? See our transport page here.
A broad and balanced curriculum
We are proud to offer a broad and balanced curriculum, which combines academic, creative and vocational subjects.
- Global Studies Faculty: engage with the world and broaden your mind. Includes geography, languages, ethics and philosophy, history and psychology.
- Science Faculty: covering biology, chemistry, physics, ICT and computing.
- Design Faculty: explore art and technology. From painting, pottery and textiles, to computer aided design, construction and engineering.
- Maths and Music Faculty: differentiated Maths courses that encourage and challenge every student. Excellent musical facilities, allowing the very best hands-on learning.
- English Faculty: covering both English language and literature, as well as drama and performance, with opportunities for poetry, creative writing, debating and other language-based arts.
- PE and Sport: traditional sports, alongside other opportunities such as climbing and mountain biking.
School life that goes beyond the classroom
Our staff are passionate about providing our students with unique experiences that broaden
Some of our enrichment activities are core to our curriculum, such as our outdoor education programme. But our school life extends well beyond the classroom, incorporating a wide range of clubs and lots of trips and visits – including a regular French exchange trip.
We are embedded in the local community, working in partnership on events as varied as heart screenings and car boot sales – as well as providing a community room on site that can be hired out.
A stunning location with excellent facilities
We have invested in facilities that provide students with exciting opportunities to enhance their learning.
No one left behind
When students join Hope Valley they join a school community that will support them throughout
We go to great lengths to ensure everyone is included and has the opportunity to excel. Key to this is our pastoral system, where students across all years work closely together throughout the year.
Our supportive ethos extends into our teaching. We want all our students to have a love of learning, so our teaching aims to be inspiring and inclusive, supporting the progress of all students.
Small enough for every student to be known
We embrace the opportunities that being a smaller school offers. We provide a nurturing, student-focused, environment, where decisions will be driven by how best to meet the individual needs of our students, staff and communities.
“Hope Valley College helped my daughter in so many ways. Not only did she achieve results that have opened so many doors for her, the college’s caring and warm environment helped her to develop socially and really find her talents and interests. It is a fantastic place."
- Parent of former student