Key Stage 4 Options
Year 9 students choose their options by following the steps below:
- Watch the options introductory video
- Read the options booklet
- Watch the subject information videos
- Complete and submit the online pre-options interview form
- Ask questions
- Complete and submit the online options form
Read on for more information...
1. Watch the options introductory video
In this video, Mrs Jones will introduce the options process that students follow in order to choose the subjects to be studied in Years 10 and 11.
2. Read the options booklet when it is available
The options brochure is being updated and will be provided to students, and available here, in January.
3. Watch the subject information videos
These videos will give you more detail about the subjects available for study in Years 10 and 11. Students can use them, together with information they receive in assemblies and in class to guide their choices.
Art and Design
Design and Technology
Hospitality and Catering
4. Complete and submit the pre-options interview form
The pre-options interview form will be emailed home on Friday 27 January. This form helps us to give the most effective advice to students, in order that each student can make the best choices for their future.
5. Ask questions
The answers to frequently asked questions are given below.
What are the key dates in the process?
- Thursday 1 December: Year 9 subject evening.
- Week beginning 9 January: Options assembly.
- Week beginning 16 January: Subject assemblies.
- Tuesday 24 January: Options Evening
- Students and parents invited into school
- Options booklet available.
- Friday 27 January: Pre-options interview form emailed home.
- Wednesday 1 February: Year 9 Futures Day during which students can explore careers, pathways and have individual student interviews.
- Friday 3 February: online options form emailed home.
- Thursday 16 February: online options form to be submitted.
- May: Confirmed options choices emailed to parents/carers
What is the English Baccalaureate (EBacc)?
Students may wish to study a suite of qualifications called the English Baccalaureate (EBacc) – namely GCSEs in Maths, English, Science, (Computer Science counts as one of the Science subjects), a Language and a Humanity (either History or Geography). Students entered for a GCSE language must take either History or Geography or both, in order to achieve the EBacc.
By studying the EBacc suite of qualifications our students have a wide range of options available to them at both post-16 and degree level.
What sources of information should students use?
Students are encouraged to:
- Talk to teachers at school and during the Year 9 Subject Evening on Tuesday 1 February.
- Explore career options and have an interview with a member of staff during Year 9 Futures Day on Wednesday 1 February.
- Talk to their form tutor.
- Speak with our Careers Advisor.
- Visit the UCAS website for information about possible careers: www.ucas.com/explore/career-list
- Further sources of careers advice are available on the careers advice page.
- Discuss the options with family and friends.
If students, parents or carers still have queries, please let us know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone on 01433 620555.
6. Submit the options form
The online options form will be emailed home on Friday 3 February. This should be completed and submitted by Thursday 16 February 2023.