Uniform and equipment
You can download a handy Ticklist at the bottom of this page which lists all the uniform and equipment you need.
Our uniform is simple and relaxed but it is important that all students adhere to our expectations.
- A navy blue polo shirt with the HVC logo is a requirement.
- Students may then choose to layer with either:
- a navy hoodie with the college logo on it,
- and/or a navy sweatshirt with the college logo in it.
- Students must wear either plain blue or black trousers. These can be jeans but not tracksuit bottoms or leggings. Rips, tears and writing are not permitted. Alternatively students may wear plain navy blue or black knee length skirts or tailored shorts. In special circumstances modifications to the uniform can be negotiated as a reasonable adjustment in line with the Equalities Act. For these adjustments you need to speak to a senior house tutor.
- Trainers are acceptable footwear but heeled shoes, open-toed footwear and sandals are not.
- Students are allowed up to two piercings in each ear and may wear simple stud earrings for college. No other piercings are allowed and students will be asked to remove any before taking part in lessons.
- For health and safety reasons, nails extensions are not allowed in college.
Students failing to wear correct uniform will be isolated until parents can bring in alternative clothing.
This is required for all lessons. If a student arrives with a parental letter requesting them to be excused from a lesson/activity due to injury or illness they will be required to get changed. The role of player/participant within PE equates to only 33% of the opportunity provided in lessons, with the remaining 66% formed via leading and or officiating duties. Injured students can continue to engage in the learning experience and have a positive impact on the lesson, even when not playing!
Plain white polo shirt with HVC logo (required).
Black shorts/tracksuit bottoms (required).
Trainers for use indoor/MUGA (clean and in addition to those worn as uniform) (required).
Green Rugby Shirt with HVC logo (required).
Anyone playing football needs:
Football/rugby socks, any colour (required).
Football boots/Astro turf trainers (deep grip) for use on field (required).
Shin pads (required).
- Gum guard/shield. HVC strongly recommends that these should be worn for activities such as rugby and hockey. Parents should provide these as part of essential PE kit. Teachers will remind students that any protective equipment provided by parents/guardians should be used to reduce the severity of any possible injury whilst participating in contact sports lessons and activities.
COVID UPDATE: Please note that current guidance states that we are not to teach contact sport, therefore the rugby shirt may not be needed until the guidance changes. However, this is a warmer shirt for outdoor PE.
Outside coats and scarves should not be worn inside the building. Students can use their school bag or locker to store their coat while inside the building. When a student enters the school building, before school, and at social times, coats must be removed immediately. Students will only be allowed to put their coat on when they leave the building for social times and at the end of
It is essential to label all school uniform, including PE kit, so that lost property can be returned.
Our supplier is Emblematic Ltd. To order uniform from them please click here.
All students should have the following equipment:
- 2 x black pens
- 1 x green pen
- 2 x pencils
- pencil sharpener
- coloured pencils
- scientific calculator
- angle measure
- set square
- apron for Food Tech lessons
- refillable water bottle
- hand sanister
Please note: if a student is travelling to school on public transport, the current government rules are that they have to wear a face mask. Please remember to pack a mask for your return journey. If you are using reusable masks, please remember to bring sealable, plastic bags to keep them in, so they do not touch the rest of the equipment in your school bag.
Mobile phones/smartwatches/earphones/ airpods/buds
We recognise the need to utilise technology in school especially when we are adapting more of our learning to online platforms in case of school closure, however, we also recognise the distractions and potential harm caused by phones and social media. Therefore, students are not allowed to use mobile phones, smartwatches or earphones/airpods/buds at school, unless directed by a member of staff in a lesson. Students are permitted to check their timetables on their phones. Any of these items that are seen or heard during the school day without permission will be confiscated by staff and parents will be required to collect the confiscated item from reception. If a student chooses to bring any of these items to school to use at social times (outside the building) or after school, these items should be switched off and put away in bags. Students must not wear headphones in the corridors as this is a health and safety issue; we require all students to be able to hear instructions from staff or react to emergency situations.
what happens if you don't follow the uniform and equipment rules?
Students are not allowed to go through the school day wearing non-permitted uniform. Student uniform is checked every morning by staff. If a student arrives at school wearing non-permitted uniform, they will be required to go to our pastoral team to change into uniform provided by school and they will leave their non-permitted item(s) with school and swap back at the end of the school day.