Principal's update 11 November 2022
Published on 11/11/22
Dear Parents and Carers
Mock exams have been taking place for our Y11 students this week. Their attitude and behaviour have been exemplary throughout. The exams continue next week too.
Remembrance has been the focus of our assemblies this week and today we held a minute’s silence for Armistice Day.
What’s going on in school?
- Children in Need: Friday 18th November will be a non-uniform day in support of Children in Need. Donations will be collected throughout the week during tutor time – there is a suggested donation of £1 per person. There will be an award for the best dressed member of each year group, which will be judged on Friday by our Student Council. Children in Need headbands, pin badges and wristbands will be available to buy each day on reception and during tutor time.
- Last week, we held a Boccia SEND accessible festival for the local primary school children. Students who wouldn’t always access sports were able to join in and had great fun! Our Sports Leaders did an amazing job helping out.
- The autumn Book Fair will arrive in the library on Friday 18 November and will open for a preview at lunchtime, then for the sale of brand new books and stationery each lunch the following week. Parents are welcome to come and browse after school on Wednesday and Thursday by arrangement. Cash payments would be preferred if possible. All sales earn us free Scholastic books for the library, so please encourage your students to come and use their very own mobile bookshop!
Year 9 Subject Evening and Options
This is the start of an important period for our Y9 students, as they start to think about the courses they will study in Y10 and 11 and their future education and career paths after they leave Hope Valley College. This is the ‘options’ process and over the next few months we will be working with Y9 students to help the to make the right subject choices for their future.
The first stage of this process is the Y9 Subject Evening on Thursday 1 December. This is an opportunity to talk to teachers about progress, attainment and KS4 courses. To make an appointment please click on the link here: SchoolCloud - Hope Valley College. Once appointments have been made you will receive an email confirmation. Information about the options process, including a voiced PowerPoint about all subjects, can be found on our website here: https://www.hopevalley-chorustrust.org/gcseoptions
Climbing Awards at The Adventure Hub
The Adventure Hub, next to the garden centre in Bamford, are offering a series of weekly, instructor-led training sessions at their bouldering wall. The programme can lead to nationally recognized climbing awards (NICAS bouldering programme: National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme). They have set up after school sessions and will run them on a first-come, first-served basis:
- Thursday Afternoons (Termtime only)
- Two Sessions of maximum 6 per group, minimum 4 per group.
- 16:0017:00 and 17:00-18:00
Each session would cost £9.50 / child, plus a one-off fee of £7.50 to cover the NICAS logbook and all certificates. Parents are asked to pay by the half-term in advance. Depending on uptake the Adventure Hub would start as soon as possible for the remainder of this half-term, or alternatively after Christmas. If you are interested, please contact Jennifer Wilson.
We are currently recruiting for a part time Design Faculty Technician. We are looking for an enthusiastic, well organised, highly motivated and flexible individual. The job varies from day to day and therefore requires someone with excellent communication skills, who can adapt easily to shifting demands and work patterns. Details can be found on our website: Vacancies
Water bottles for sale
All students should bring a water bottle to school, which can be refilled at break time and lunchtime. We do have some reusable bottles for sale at a cost of £1.50 each. Please ask at reception if you would like to purchase one.
Thank you for reading our communication. Here are some helpful email addresses, should you need to contact us:
Gaynor Jones, Principal
Hope Valley College
T: 01433 620555